Wednesday, December 3, 2008

another killer interview from alber elbaz.


alber elbaz. 

HMP: Is the turmoil in the financial world affecting the way you're thinking about [the spring 2009] collection?
AE: It's not an easy time. You have to be smart. Now is the time to hide the shine. It's either inexpensive—a T-shirt—or it's something that makes you want to own it, that gives you the desire. Even though we go through difficulty, it's an important time, because it makes you stronger. It's almost like being on a diet. Hard, but then the results are there.
I wanted to go out of fashion, to study medicine. I thought, you know, who needs fashion? How important is it if you wear a red dress and an orange jacket? It's not really. But it is important for that woman, she will find a nice fur coat and it will make her happy, she will have a better day. Our job is to give you comfort, to hug you with clothes. I always tell this story a woman told me, that every time she wears Lanvin, men fall in love with her.

HMP: What kind of women do you design for? 
AE: I love personalities. I don't like just pretty girls. The moment I see a woman, my task is to find the piece that, when I put it on her, I will not see the clothes but I see her face. I don't want to see a dress with a woman. I just want to see a woman. And fit doesn't mean that it's fitting the body. It has to fit her mind. Being an overweight designer, I'm very aware of comfort. We don't only do clothes for 20-year-old girls. We can see the same piece worn by 20 and by 80. And I love that. I love to see old women. I love wrinkles. I love gray hair.

ow, where do you go to relax after it is all over?
AE: I hate to relax. I hate vacations. The moment I’m on vacation, I get sick! I work seven days a week. I work Saturday, I work Sunday. I work at home. I work. I mean, it’s kind of filling me up. And you know what, Harriet, sometimes on Saturday or on Sunday when I come to the office I walk by the park and I see all these people having lunch or brunch, or just walking around and eating a banana and stuff. And I ask myself, am I going through life just parallel to life, or is that life? And in the end, everyone creates his own. Whatever makes you happy.

No comments: